Saturday, July 27, 2013

[Eng] The Blind Doctor (part 1)

[Intro songs starts, audience clapping]

Andrew (A): Hello and welcome back to our show. Tonight we have a very special guest for our show. Ladies and gentlemen, give him a warm welcome of applause, Dr Fattah Al-Amin. How are you doctor?

Dr Fattah (Dr): I'm fine thank you, Andrew.

A: Sorry for the inconveniences, are you comfortable here doctor?

Dr: It's okay Andrew. Pardon my shades. Your studio shines of its prestige, blinds my eye.

A: A doctor with a sense of humour, ladies and gentlemen.

[Crowd shares the giggles]



A: So, doctor. A man of high levels of doctorates from the medical field. Audience if I may share with you, this steady and handsome doctor is not an ordinary doctor. His vision is impaired. Despite that he still could obtain his Phd after his accident, was it 3 years before?

Dr: 2 years, Andrew.

A: How magnificent, 2 years and a Phd.

Dr: First and foremost, Praised to Allah for He has blessed me with the ability of courage and support from my surroundings. You see Andrew [while point-gesturing 2 fingers to the Andrew's and his eye], I was 'blind' before the accident. In a total darkness searching anything that could light my life a bit.

A: Could share with us few things of your past, doctor?

Dr: I have finishes my meds school like the usual people do, then practices medicine, got lucky with my superiors which they shoot out my name for a postgrad post that they give full scholarship for Surgery. Gotten at the top of my rank, promoted even better post. The glory of a man needs. But everything finishes when I reach 30. Literally.

Throughout my youth, I engaged everything that we, the West would say pleasures the soul. I did drugs, boozes, boobs you name it. I have wealth, health and as a man with titles, I have almost all the 7 Deadly Sins in the Bible. That was before the incident happened.

A: What did happened to you, Sir?

Dr: Andrew, have you experience a bankruptcy?

A: No, I never did yet, Sir.

Dr: Well, Andrew and my dear audiences, I got total blackout striped to nothing. I was involved in a motorcar accident. There I lost my eye-motor-coordination. Which is my sight, the most important part of a Treating Doctor, my hand, the most important part of being a Surgeon, and my legs, the most important part of being able. Bad way to end up a career of my field. I hated myself. No hospital would hire a disabled personnel. But they did provide rehabilitation for my physical needs though.

Did I mentioned I lost my wife and parent on the day of incident of which I drive under influence? Yes, my next of kin was reduced to zero. I did get helped financially with insurance company, benefits from the government and my employer. But believe me, my savings are nothing worthy compared to what I have lost. I almost lost my sense too.

A: So what changes you from broken into functioning?

Dr: Lucky is not the word to fully describe this event, Andrew.

My treating personnel are Muslims. The surgeon in-charge and my therapist. There are sure not many of Muslims Doctor who play an important role in many hospitals here you know. The first one, my surgeon give me light of hope with his words of wisdom,
"God gives you chance to live, so don't loose it".

I was Catholic back then. A non practicing one. "Why would I believe those words, I never even closed to God?", I said to him. Apperently, this Head of Surgery Department whispers to me and said,
"All that has happen is based on your carelessness, but never let more carelessness be the reason you being left to nothing"
A: So, this surgeon is the reason you convert to Islam.

Dr: Andrew, the correct term we use is Embraces Islam. A convert could revert. But no, he just the one who gives me a reason to struggle at the very first point of my journey towards Islam. The one plays the role of my Shahada was my Therapist. My wife. This is not the usual client-doctor confidence breach.

My motor skills or just temporary, but my sight aren't. During my rehab, it was strictly professional. She guided me with the exercises for muscle and she too have her degrees on managing visual impaired patients. My motor skills gained stronger 2 months after. From there we started my Vision Rehabilitation Service. Andrew, when we loss one of our sense, the other 4 heighten. One of it is my hearing.

During one of the settings, I've listened to numerous Arabic words. Assalamualaikum, Solah, Alhamdulillah, Masyallah, Allahuakbar and few verses of Al-Quran. Am I in a terrorist rehab camp? [Andrew and audience laugh]. And I did asked her that after [crowd went hilarious].

A: Wait, you actually asked that when you know you can't ran away if it is true?

Dr: Yes, I did that. She laughs. Then, She told me that she had only 3 patients that are also a Muslims among 20-30 non-muslims that need their treatments. At one time I heard She asked a man, her patient, could he perform his Solah standing or sitting. I asked her, was it important even if one is sick to be performing any ritual movements? She does not felt annoyed from any of my questions, she answered it in a very mannered way.
"Solah is not a ritual, but a form of exercise. It is not also a nonsense word to be pronounce during it. Not only it tends the physical values, but provide one with mental and spiritual aspects. A servant of Allah would perform Solah when he is at the peak of his humbleness to God. Which means, Muslims who doesn't missed a single daily prayers would be a humble to anyone and stayed strong."
Andrew, I never seen a Muslim performed a full Solah movements. So I asked her, "Can you show me how it is done?". You know what, she not only helps me with the movements, but she also taught me the pronunciation and the meaning of each words during the Solah.

A: What really attracts you onward toward Islam then?

Dr: Andrew, this is the teachings of Islam via the Prophet SAW,
"Perform Solah as what you have seen me Solah" 
The attraction comes to me when the first phrases we would said in our Solah after the Takbiratul Ihram,
"Allah is Greater and praise be to Allah, and glory be to Allah, in the evening and the morning. Surely I am facing towards He, Who Creates the Heavens and the Earth and I am inclining toward truth, a Muslim. And not comprise with mushrikeen (polytheists/those who associates others with Allah). My Prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are all for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. I will never associates Him and with what I have done made me part Muslims"
A: That is what we Muslims read in our Iftitah, right?

Dr: That's right Andrew. The Iftitah, Opening Recital, we declared an oath. Submitting and reminded us not only daily, but each every prayer time, 5 times per day.

A:  Well, we will take a break now, so be sure to stay tune with Dr Fattah Al-Amin, for more of his sharing of Embracing Islam and his success while being a Blind Doctor.
[Outro music]

No comments:

Post a Comment